Jacques-Yves Cousteau defined the Sea of Cortez “the aquarium of the world.” Only by visiting the many deserted beaches and its depths can one truly understand what this incredible territory has to offer.
The 5 National Parks In Baja California
To recognize and enhance the ecological, environmental and landscape richness of Baja California and its gulf, since 1995 Mexico created 5 national parks along the Eastern side of the peninsula.
Let’s discover them together.
- Archipelago de Espíritu Santo, with its turquoise waters, white beaches and mangrove forests;
- Bahia de Loreto National Marine Park, with its diversified marine life and the large and uninhabited islands;
- Cabo Pulmo National Marine Park, with its tropical coral reef and legendary dives;
- San Lorenzo Marine Archipelago National Park, with its rich avian and marine diversity;
- The famous Revillagigedo Parks, located 250 miles south of Cabo San Lucas, the largest fully protected marine area in North America.
We must also mention Guadalupe, 125 miles from Ensenada, world destination for divers from all over the world, where it is possible to spot White sharks, giant races and an incredible and untouched marine life.
The Advantages Of The Protection Of These Areas
Mexico joins the list of countries such as Palau, the US and the United Kingdom, which have protected huge areas of the oceans to ensure future generations a healthy and productive sea in order to survive.
Fishermen, at first against such process, have learned over time that a protected marine area has an immediate impact on the fish population even outside of it, and the increase in the number of fish in the reserve could linger on in its closest outside areas, along with the wealth brought by natural tourism.
A similar process took place in 1998 around the Galapagos. These reserves have all the elements to become great marine sanctuaries on the planet.
The road is still very long, but there has been an incredible growth in the concept of large-scale marine protected areas, hoping the countries owning them will engage in some sort of a race for their protection.